Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Growing Respect


I've found in the past few weeks a strange feeling of thankfulness for my parents - especially my mom.
Over time I'd come to see my parents as controlling - those who kept me from making my own mistakes - sheltering me from real life.  Those who would fight me over any disagreement which they would always win because they had the power.
Now I'm starting to see how they protected me.
When I was in the 4th grade, and my teacher put me in ISR for no reason - how my mom spent an hour on the phone with my teacher arguing in my defense.
In middle school, when Kelsey and Jamie turned on me, when everyone was picking on me because I didn't cause and I didn't know enough to keep my mouth shut when other people did - my mom was always the one I talked to.  She was the one always calling the school counselor, and hugging me, and sending those jerks to the principals office.
The one who home-schooled me for two years so I didn't have to be around the rest of those stupid middle schoolers anymore.
The one who would wake me up in the morning when my alarm didn't go off... or I pressed snooze twenty times and just didn't get up.
The one who sent a twenty dollar bill in my Valentine's day card so Michael and I could to eat out.
The one who gets up in the middle of the night with me when I'm hurting or sick, even though once she wakes up she won't be able to sleep again.
The one who warned me not to live with Kelsey - and still hasn't said "I told you so."
The one who talked to my apartment manager on Saturday and basically saved me from being evicted or forced to pay all of Kelsey's rent until July.
The one who prays for me every day - she never forgets.
The one who always encourages me to do the right thing and forgive - even when I would be perfectly justified to hold my grudges by the world's standards.
Sometimes I just remember her flaws.  But we're all flawed.  If I became half the woman she is, I would consider myself incredibly lucky.

1 comment:

Kara Jay said...

You should let your mom read this Marnie. I'm sure it would mean alot to her.
I completely agree with you.